Presbytery of Central Texas organized the joint Sunday School into Highland Presbyterian Church, January 31, 1892
The Highland Presbyterian Church was organized by the Presbytery of Central Texas on January 31, 1892.
Rev. Purcell was called as Pastor, and Dr. Daniel A. Penick as Elder, of the new Highland Presbyterian Church. The church began with 20 commuting members. Meanwhile, in East Austin, another Sunday School was formed by the Austin School of Theology on Nueces Street, originally organized by Dr. Penick. When he became the Elder of the Highland Presbyterian Church, he joined the two schools together, and the church purchased the West Austin building. As a result, the church was physically closer to the University of Texas, allowing more students to join.